Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Jury Duty

I had the distinct honor of serving on a jury today in Kings County Civil Court. I knew when I was being interviewed for the jury selection that I was going to be picked. My earnestness and inability to lie, along with my obvious sense of justice, were exactly what lawyers are seeking when they start those silly questions. And secretly, I wanted to be picked. Being chosen to be part of a trial seemed like a confirmation of long-held beliefs about myself. I look like the kind of person you can trust to be impartial and serve justice.

I don’t really know what it is about my face or my demeanor that makes people feel like they can tell me all sorts of things. I know so much dirt on so many people, it’s unbelievable. And not just my closest friends. I know about the childhood traumas of relative strangers. Maybe I seem non-judgmental, or maybe people mistake me for a priest. I don’t wear solid black outfits very often, so I am doubting that theory.

In another case of probably giving myself too much credit, I like to think that it speaks volumes about my character that random people want to tell me random things that would make most hesitant or turn them judgmental.

No comments:

Post a Comment