Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend

And thus, the New York City summer begins. Memorial Day Weekend this year was incredible, including two trips to the beach, one day of surfing sans booties, one party until 5 in the morning, some new friends, and mostly wonderful old friends. One of my best friends said that from my Facebook picture updates, it looks like all we do is party. This may be true, but it’s not like I’m pulling my camera out at funerals to make sure I balance out the fun on my page.

On that point, though, I can’t decide how much sharing is too much and how much is just keeping your non-local friends up to date with your life. Since I got a new camera just a few days ago, I am snapping pictures like crazy. And I want to share them. Mostly as a self-indulgence, since I’m in a very photogenic phase of life right now and, I have no idea how long that’s going to last. We don’t have photo-sharing parties anymore because hardly anyone will bother to print them out, so Facebook is the only way we can share photos with our friends.

I don’t think that I’m a chronic oversharer. I don’t usually update on tiny minutiae of the day, or on things that only apply to one person. I don’t give away too many personal details that I know of, but I want to share pictures of my travels and weekly and weekend excitements. I want to share a funny story sometimes with my friends who aren't around me on the regular.

Everyone in my generation struggles with this, because we all either have Facebook or avoid it in defiance. But no one is indifferent. Some are too busy to update or check it on the regular, but the world in the age range of 15-40 right now can be classified into two groups: those who have FB and those who don’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment